Tuesday 22 January 2008

Parenting with Trust

I was having a conversation recently with some mums at my local breastfeeding support group about our parenting styles. We decided it was difficult to define our styles of parenting. We love the idea of attachment parenting but don't really follow it - we love slings but also love pushing our babies about in a pram, and we sometimes find it easier to do the housework without having a baby attached to us. Should we call it instinctive parenting? But sometimes it's hard to follow our instincts when we've read all the manuals and listened to our friends and family, and everyone seems to have conflicting ideas about feeding, sleeping, weaning etc.

Later it struck me that my parenting style is all about trust, but it is my baby and his instincts I need to trust, not my own. I trust my baby to know when and how much he wants to feed and sleep. If he cries I go to him because I know that he is crying for a reason - he needs something and I have to provide it for him. He isn't crying to be manipulative. I do not want to train him not to cry. I don't try to enforce a routine on him so that he will fit in with my life more easily. I don't want to "get my life back to normal again." My life will never be the same as it was before I became a mum, and that's the way it should be.

3 comments:

Bast Spandangle said...

I totally agree. Welcome to blog land!

KarenArtisan said...

hi judy, it all looks good stuff.
from your technophobe dad.

Life through the Slim Lens said...

Hi
That just about sums up us too. So good to find likeminded people :o)

Monstermum / Brunoandmum / Claire